SUMMARY OF POSITION
As the principal training and technical advisor to the HOFO and the MDRS, this senior role is a key member of the Flight Operations Department Management Team. In accordance with Section 28 of the Civil Aviation Act 1998 and approved by CASA legislation, you will lead and manage the aircrew training division and be responsible for the efficient and cost-effective training of crew to best meet the needs of the business.
As a leader and strong communicator, you will have the capacity to represent the Flight Operations Training and Checking Department at both departmental and board level, as well, represent the aircrew training section and, when appropriate the Operations Department and/or Company with the regulatory authorities, Government agencies, client, service providers and the public.
As a key member of the Management team, this position is subject to the statutory medical standards relevant to active professional pilots and requires a mixture of aircraft and office working hours.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The HOTC is responsible for the conduct, either personally or by delegation to subordinate managers, consultant, or contractors, of the following duties:
- Manage the Company Training and Checking organisation, functions and oversight of any training and checking contracts in accordance with legislative requirements and report on the adequacy of management to the HOFO.
- Hold safety as a core value and contribute to the achievement of zero harm and an incident/injury free environment through actively participating in all safety programs relevant to the position.
- Act as the principal technical adviser to the HOFO and MDRS and assist in the development of flight operating policies.
- Ensure compliance with relevant civil aviation law for pilot training activities, qualifications, and checking.
- Manage team KPI’s
- Undertake positive safety activities as allocated by the MDRS.
- Plan, organise, lead and control daily operation of the aircrew training section through the respective Fleet Managers and Cabin Crew Training Managers.
- Ensure all operating crew meet the competency test requirements for the execution of emergency procedures as required.
- Ensure that crew members employed by the company undertake the training courses at the interval specified in the Regulations.
- Co-ordinate the activities of the pilot and cabin crew training section with those of the Ground Operations Maintenance Control, and Flight Operations Department managers.
- Ensure compliance with the contracted levels of simulator support and externally provided training activities for pilots, including minimum guaranteed performance and certification.
- Monitors and approves (under delegation) invoices for fleet simulator use within authorised budgets.
- Establish current and long range training goals, objectives, plans and policies for the Flight Operations Department.
- Liaise with the HOFO and, where appropriate, other department managers to investigate any safety related issue and recommend the implementation of corrective actions and procedures.
- Manage and maintain the aircrew training section to ensure that the section employs and trains sufficient personnel to achieve corporate and business objectives, including appropriate succession and contingency planning.
- Review operating results of the aircrew training sections, compare them to establish objectives, and take steps to ensure that appropriate measures are taken to correct unsatisfactory results.
- Develop and maintain a system of internal reporting and that supports Company financial performance modelling and data of aircrew training activities.
- Ensure accurate and timely compliance by training personnel with all required training data recording and administrative procedures.
- Ensure that all aircrew training activities will not, where possible, interfere with the contract obligation to the client.
- Ensure that the aircrew training sections actively participates in the Company safety and quality activities and pursues a goal of cost-effective continuous improvement.
- Advise, and where appropriate, participate in negotiating changes in workplace industry arrangements to optimise staff productivity and assisting HOFO to achieve the personnel and industrial relations goals.
- Establish and maintain effective communication at all levels with other company business units.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
To be considered for this position with Cobham, we require the below as mandatory pre-requisites:
- Have experience in management of flight crew training, preferably for high capacity air transport jet operations, in accordance with the requirement of CAO82.5 Appendix 2
- Have demonstrated high level understanding of all of the essential operational and infrastructure requirement to conduct the company’s operations.
- Have demonstrable leadership and interpersonal skills commensurate with the position.
- Have capacity to represent the Flight Operations Training and Checking Department at Departmental and Board level.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills commensurate with the position.
- Meets the minimum experience requirements specified in the CAO 82.5 Appendix 2
- Maintain check pilot proficiency on at least one type of aircraft and simulator operated by the company.
What’s in it for you
- Cobham encourage work life balance with our employees
- Staff discounts across Superannuation, Health Clubs, Hotels and Travel
- Reward and Recognition Program
- A company that values each and every employee offering professional growth and progression opportunities